Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter over

Easter is over and we had a lovely one. Sunday spent at my sister's with family. A good day with company and food.
I have just about finished the new curtains for the caravan. What a job? If I would have realized I would not have started them. Too many other things I want to do.

Speaking of food. I found this recipe for home made condensed milk. I don't think I will ever buy it again as this tastes as good as the tin one. I make a jelly slice and a weekbix slice with this recipe and no on could taste the difference.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Servings 4
Recipe Yield 2.25 cups

Ingredients
• 3/4 cup boiling water
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup white sugar
• 2 2/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
(I used skim milk powder. Apparently if you use a powder sweetener it comes out just as nice).
Directions
1. Combine water, butter, sugar and milk powder in a blender and blend until thickened, 2 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

Jelly Slice

Top Layer:
1 pack raspberry gelatin
1-1/2 cups boiling water

Base:
1 pack Marie biscuits
1/4 lb. melted butter

Middle Layer:
1 can condensed milk
2 lemons, juiced
1 tbsp plain gelatin
1 cup boiling water
Dissolve raspberry gelatin in water. Let cool. Crush Marie biscuits and mix together with butter, press into a 9x9" glass baking pan and put in fridge until set (5-10 minutes). Dissolve gelatin in water and add to condensed milk. Mix gently. Add to base once it is set. Put back into fridge. Once the condensed milk layer is firm, gently spoon the raspberry gelatin on top so as not to disturb the other layers. Allow to set firm in fridge, then cut into 2" squares. For best flavor, let set in fridge overnight (if you can get it to last that long!)

Weet-Bix Slice

Prep time 15 minutes or less

Ingredients:
1/2 x 410g can of condensed milk (use more if the mixture is dry)
10 to 12 crushed weetbix
125g butter
1/2 cup coconut
1 tblsp cocoa
1 cup mixed dried fruit and nuts - I used Crasins

Icing:
1 tblsp butter
1 tblsp cocoa
1.5 cups icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons boiling water
(alt. icing lemon icing)
Melt butter then add condensed milk, stir to combine.
In another bowl add rest of ingredients and mix well. Pour over butter mixture and combine well. Press into slice tin lined with baking paper.
Combine all icing ingredients together and spread over the slice. Refrigerate.

Keep stitching
Delia

No comments:

HELLO I have not posted for a very long time. I could not get into my blog but after an hour finely worked it out. My what have I b...