Monday, February 25, 2008

A little of this and a little of that

This last week I have been messing around doing a few experimental things.

First I made some silk leaves. I cut up the silk bits and lay them it between solvy pinned and randomly machine embroidered over the piece to keep it all in place. Then zig zaged the leaf shapes and satin stitched over them. I then put in the stems washed out the solvy making sure I left in some so I could twist the leaves into shape.


I was happy with the result.


Yesterday I spent the day with a friend and we made silk paper. I had always wanted to know how to do this and was quite surprised at how easy it was to do.
When finished I realized we had forgotten to put in the angelica fibre. Maybe I can iron it on top will give that a go later.
I may make a bag out of this piece.
I could bead it and do some fancy machine stitches with nice threads on top as well.
After doing the silk we decided to do some raw coloured wool. We were not sure if it would turn out or not but it is OK. Not as nice as the silk but still could be useful for some things. We forgot to put on any threads. I can machine embroidery over it and then bead it or what every.
I think it would be good for ATC.
What do you think?
I have had a busy morning again. I have my step Aunty and her husband out from England for a couple of weeks. My step mother does an itinerary and they are so busy in this time. We hardly get a chance to see them. I think they will be glad to get home again.
They arrived here on Saturday. What a day to arrive the heat up here was just terrible. It would have been 42deg here and if I dared to poke my head out the door it was if it was in an over. I don't really remember such dry heat here for a long long time if ever.
Time I went and did a bit of work.
Until next time have fun creating.
Delia

Sunday, February 10, 2008

I can't believe it is 3 weeks since posting

I can’t believe it is 3 weeks since I last posted. I have had a busy week with committee meeting and finalising the tickets for the quilt raffle at our quilt show in May.
The quilt, runner and cushion look so nice. I would like to win it.

We started back at our doll and bear group but I could not get into things so just did the stitching of bindings on the Cancer Challenge.

Our quilt group started back also and have had a class on paper weights and door stops at the last meeting. Next meeting is our AGM so I am standing as workshop coordinator again. I don’t think I have any competition this year.

This week I have sewn and written a pattern with the first attempt being very bright. I will have to do another in lighter colours.



This is the quilt for the Cancer Challenge. It is different to what I usually do but for some reason just drew up the picture of the Victorian lady and wanted to make her.
I am not that happy with the quilt. I tried a different way of doing the bindings on the back with the mitre and no binding showing on the front. I think it was the wrong project to do that on. I did not have time to do another one so had to send it off.